Thursday, October 8, 2026

Sleeping In

 


Sleeping in is something that I apparently cannot do as an adult.  It does not seem to matter if I go to be at 9:00 p.m. or 1:00 a.m. I am going to be up before the sun.  Every day.  This is not a bad quality to have but at times it is frustrating.  Sleeping in has become a fantasy in my life.  It's never a reality unless I'm sick and I don't count that.  That is my body telling me that I'm on a different schedule because of some virus.  That kind of sleeping in is far from pleasurable.  I'll take it, because I need it, but it's not the same as just sleeping in.

As an adult, I have become a morning person.  I never saw that one coming as a teenager.  I can get a lot more done in the morning when I put my mind to it.  I am not always productive in the morning, but I know that the possibility is there.  Some mornings I'm just lazy LOL When Michael and I were together, I got up before he did and that morning time was like my sanctuary.  It was my alone time and I cherished that.  That is kind of when I first learned that I needed some alone time each day to focus on myself.  So, I got used to getting up early.  Now, that I am single, I really don't have that excuse, but I still get up early.  

Last night, I told myself that I was going to sleep in this morning.  I went to bed around 11:00 p.m.  I purposely did not set my alarm.  I turned on my radio instead and let it play all night.  I love those nights when I can let the radio play and have music in the background while I'm drifting in and out of sleep.  But then 6:15 a.m. comes around and BAM.  I am awake.  No alarm except for my body alarm.  And it's not the kind of awake that I can say I'll just roll back over and go back to sleep.  I am awake.  I even remind myself that I am off today and do not have to be anywhere this morning.  That held no influence this morning.  I went ahead and got up, made my coffee and here I am.

I am not complaining that I cannot sleep in intentionally anymore.  It is just disappointing sometimes because it feels like a luxury that escapes me. Ah, the joys of adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment