When I am going through things in each drawer, each cabinet and on each surface, I divide them into categories. Keep, trash, donate, sell. Obviously, the keep pile is the biggest. I just can't help myself there, but I am getting better. It's smaller than it was! And if you know me, that is a pretty big deal. My sell pile is also really a form of the keep pile right now. In the back of my mind, I still think I may have some kind of antiques/collectibles business sometime down the road, so I want to keep an inventory of some kind ready. But these are also items that I will give to any of my friends if they see something they like. I keep a picture album on Facebook of such things. No one's taken me up on that one yet but oh well!
The trash and donate piles can be tricky for me though. Sometimes I wonder if I should donate items that are not perfect and need repair. Or should I just trash them. I watch a show on tv called Money For Nothing. It's a British show where this woman goes to the dump and finds items being thrown out and repurposes them. It's a pretty entertaining show and some of the things she and her artisans come up with are outstanding. So, when I am looking at something that I think I need to just throw out, I will often stop myself and wonder if someone could do something with it. I keep hearing that little voice in my head saying one man's trash is another man's treasure. Sometimes I want to mute that voice because it makes me think too hard LOL And I end up donating because for one, it's true that someone may be able to do something with it. And also, it won't end up in the landfill because I saw little value in it. Oh, well.
Right now, I'm still in the kitchen working so most everything is in pretty good shape to put into piles. I'll keep going and once I get a good donation pile going, I will take it to the appropriate place and let it go. Every pile has its value and forcing myself to make decisions like this is a good thing. It's not as easy as you see on all of those home improvement shows, but it can be done!


No comments:
Post a Comment