Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Finding Traditions

 Growing up, there were things that were tradition.  Of course, there are the obvious traditions like holidays...especially Thanksgiving and Christmas.  There were yearly traditions like shopping for new school clothes.  There were weekly traditions like going to church every Sunday or stopping everything to watch The Golden Girls at 9pm on Saturday night.  I miss those traditions.  They hold such dear memories for me that I take great comfort in.

So, I talk about this because I need to start some new traditions, if for no other reason than to feed my own soul.  It would be nice to have something to look forward to every year or every month or every week.  While spending time with family on the holidays has continued to be a tradition, mine will change this year.  That's ok.  Change is good.  And it will be the first time that I am truly in control of my own holidays, I'm kind of looking forward to that!  


But I want to find some things to do, to look forward to.  While I must stay within my budget, I know that I can create some traditions of my own.  Maybe revisit and/or reinvent some of the traditions of my past.  I tried a church for awhile, but that did not pan out exactly how I'd hoped.  Finding a new house of worship may be an option. 


Now with everything streaming on tv, setting aside a specific night to catch a program no longer exists.  And even when I had cable, I didn't do that really.  There wasn't much out there that I was simply craving to watch every week.  

I'm thinking about using my weekends to do some free tourist things around the area.  I think that this coming Saturday I'm going to peruse some antiques stores and thrift shops in the area.  It's not about buying anything really, just to get out and explore.  Since I love antiques, it seems like a natural fit.  We'll see.

Anyway, I'm just ready to start some traditions.  It's important for me, I believe.  I will keep you posted on what I discover in my adventures.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment