I often like to repurpose pieces in my house so that they are used to their full potential. Then something happens that makes me want to use the piece for its intended purpose. That is what I am working on right now. Well, not really working on it but it's in the back of my mind as another project so we shall see how that goes!
As I have been going through boxes in the garage, consolidating and getting rid of things, I came across several boxes of music. My piano music. Not just mine, but music that belonged to generations before me. Thumbing through that music brought back so many good memories. I really miss sitting at a piano and playing. It's so therapeutic for me that I think it would do me good to get back into it. Now, to find a piano. Anyway, I have a lot more sheet music than I anticipated. My personal sheet music spans from my beginnings in piano playing circa 1980 up through college. I stopped buying music for the piano after that simply because I didn't have anything to play it on.
I didn't have to throw much of it out, which was nice. But I would recycle things that were incomplete. I used to make lots of copies of music that I borrowed from others and there really is not a point in holding onto it if I don't have the completed piece. Luckily, that was at a minimum. So, what I need to do next is organize my music and start to catalog it. You know I love a good inventory LOL But going back to my original thought is my music cabinet. I want to store my music in the cabinet like it should be stored. Right now, the cabinet is full of linens. I can eventually find another place for them so that I can make room for the music. Once I did store records in there because the shelves are the perfect size for it. But now they have their own home which works.
It really has been fun looking through the music. There are all types of genres there. Multiple hymnals. Classical music, new age piano, showtunes. I have several books of early 19th century popular songs that Mom and I used to sit at the piano and play and sing. Music I played in church with Suzanne Jewell back in the days at FBC Monroe. So many good memories. Even the recital pieces I played. I was never a fan of recitals, but I can look back on them fondly now.
So, I am adding that project to my ever-growing list. I think that if I have everything organized and where it should be, I may just get motivated enough to find a piano to start playing again. We shall see.


No comments:
Post a Comment