Thursday, January 11, 2024

Figuring out my Capstone project

 


As I begin this semester, one of the things I have to do is figure out what my capstone project is going to be.  It's basically my thesis project.  I've got several months to get it sorted out, but I'm already nervous about that.  But, once it's in place I know I will be looking forward to it.

We have three options of the kinds of projects we can do. One is research.  I'm going to pass on that one because research really isn't my thing.  And there's all kinds of red tape and paperwork and getting permission from this committee and that organization.  Finding someone already in research to mentor.  It's just a lot for something that, while I'm interested in reading it, I'm not very interested in doing it personally.

The second option is field work.  Basically, this is an internship.  This is a possibility if I found a good place to do it.  The trouble is there are so many different places where I could end up interning that it's almost overwhelming.  Still, I'm considering this possibility and am formulating a list of potential areas that I would like to look into interning.

The third option is service learning.  This option is for people who already work in the senior industry.  It allows us to do a capstone project at our place of employment.  The stipulation is that it cannot be any area of the job that we're already doing.  That's fair.  We have a very successful Art of Living Well program that's definitely a possibility for me because I have not really done anything substantial with them.

I am going to meet with my advisor and the professor in charge of the capstones in the next few weeks to figure this all out.  Right now, as I'm sick, I can't think that far ahead and need to get other things done as far as homework goes.  But I get nervous because my internship as an undergraduate was a bust. I enjoyed it but it did not give me any skills to take out into the job market.  And the only downside about an internship is what happens to my current job?  Am I supposed to take a leave of absence?  Is the internship paid or unpaid?  I hate that money will be a factor but that's life.  I have decided that if I don't find what I want and what I think will be beneficial to my career path, I will probably put this off until next summer so that I have time to figure it out.  That's not my preference, but I am not going to waste this experience with something I'm not interested in.

Well, I have lots to think about and lots to decide.  I hope that the right thing will present itself and this will be an amazing experience.  We shall see!!

That is all

No comments:

Post a Comment