Thursday, June 20, 2024

Board Games & Cards

Growing up, playing games was a big part of my life.  Many nights were spent playing games with Mom, Dad and Bill. Sometimes board games, sometimes cards.  But it was always fun.  Sometimes I would play games with friends in the neighborhood, but we spent more of our time playing other things and more outdoor type games like hide-n-seek or kick the can. Spending hours with people playing games of strategy and/or knowledge was time well spent.  It was truly quality time.  I always knew when someone set up the card table in the den that an evening of fun was in store.


I love board games.  Clue was always a favorite.  So was Monopoly.  I only wish I was as good with my money now as I was when playing Monopoly.  Oh well.  Scrabble was always fun and I spent many nights playing that with Grandmother.  I remember when Trivial Pursuit came out and what a huge hit that was.  It was a bestselling game and we, of course, had our own copy.  I was always surprised, being the youngest in the family, when I got answers correct but it did happen!  We also got some of the expansion packs like the "Baby Boomer" edition and the "Silver Screen" edition. Now, those were pretty hard and we didn't play them quite as much.  


And card games were a must as well in our family.  My parents played bridge many weekends with friends.  As a family, we would play hearts or spades or gin rummy.  Grandmother and I played gin a lot and we were both pretty good at it. Old Maid was lots of fun when I was young.  What I wouldn't give to have that deck still!  Go Fish was also a favorite past time. And Uno, can't forget that one.  They were all such fun! And cards were great because there were games I could play by myself like Concentration and Solitaire.  I still play lots of Solitaire.


I would love to get some more games into my life again.  While I have been to my fair share of games nights as an adult, it has definitely waned over the past few years.  And now, being single, it's almost nonexistent LOL  I would love to change that.  Just to have someone to play cards with on a regular basis would be awesome.  Of course, I've forgotten many of the games and will have to relearn, but I'm good with that.  But having friends get together to play games would be a wonderful thing to have in my life again. 

Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment