Thursday, June 6, 2024

Summer Vacations

 


Now that summer is approaching, the schools around here are starting to wind things down for the year.  I remember how exciting a time it was and how I looked forward to summer vacation.  I suppose in some ways that is still the case.  I have been looking forward to not being in school for a while and relaxing some.  Even though I am working still, not having to be in class every night is a good thing for me. But one of the things I miss about those summers are the actual vacations.  Planning weeklong trips and heading out of town.  I may get in a few weekend trips and day trips throughout the summer but not an actual vacation.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I am just remembering how fun those times were.  One day I'll get back to where I can afford a vacation, I have no doubts!

Growing up, we almost always went to the beach for a week.  Even though I don't swim, I love to be at the beach.  I remember how much planning Mom put into it.  We would only eat out once during our stay, so she very carefully planned menus for the week and bought almost all of the groceries at home because they're more expensive at the beach. I remember the house at Kure Beach that didn't have any closets but wardrobes in every room.  There were swings on the front and back screened in porches.  I would spend hours with Grandmother swinging on those swings.  I remember the house at Topsail where the floor slanted, and Aunt Sara's bed moved during the night.  I remember playing the card game Spoons with the family.  Janet, my Mom's best friend, caught her first fish there.  That was the summer that the TWA flight was hijacked, and we had the tv on all day long to watch the news, something we never normally would do on vacation. 


As I grew older, Grandmother and I would go to Wilmington for a week.  My Great Aunt Billie lived there as did Uncle Bill and Aunt Jan.  That was always a fun visit to me.  I loved Aunt Billie's house and always enjoyed my time there.  It was magical. One year we went to the Outer Banks. We took the dog that year and she got loose one day.  We finally managed to catch her, but it wasn't easy.  That was the year we played Charades and our dog, Buttons, kept think we were dropping treats for her when we did our gestures. In the past few years, I've had a few weeks at the beach, and it's always been fun.  Like I said, I don't really go on the beach much itself, but I love the atmosphere of the ocean life. 

Michael and I went to a campground in TN for about 13 summers.  We made some wonderful friends there and it was always a good time.  At least what I can remember of it LOL I think that's what really got me to thinking about vacations lately.  The yearly event we always attended began yesterday.  It's been several years since I've been back and I would love to return one day.  It was always so relaxing and I miss my friends there.  Maybe one day!

As for now, I'm happy in my day-to-day life.  I think I will start planning some short trips here and there. If you'd like to host me, just let me know LOL

That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment