Saturday, June 29, 2024

The Daisy and Button Compote

 I love the EAPG patter Daisy and Button.  It's a very busy pattern and dates at least back to the late 19th century.  And it's been made ever since.  When I was going through my strictly Victorian stage when I first really began liking antiques, I was drawn to this pattern immediately. But no one in my family had any pieces of it. I'd only seen pictures in books and pieces in shops.  And at that time, those pieces were fairly expensive.  Still, I have always enjoyed this pattern and now have a few pieces.  Even though my decor is not strictly Victorian, I still love using these pieces every day!


I also have a thing for compotes.  I have to be careful about that or they will be everywhere in my house LOL But, one of the D&B pieces I had always wanted was the large compote.  I'd seen it places for years but it was either too expensive or it came at a time when I didn't need it.  Not that I need it now, but you know, sometimes you just gotta treat yourself!


One Sunday I was going to some estate sales with my friends Travis and Jonathan.  Sundays are great because they are normally 1/2 price day at the sale.  I was not looking for anything specifically, just enjoying seeing what was there. I turned a corner and saw the compote on a table full of pressed glass.  I thought, hmmmmm dare I look?  I went over and took a look at it.  No chips or cracks and 1/2 off meant it was $18.  I could afford that.  But would I get it?  


When I see something I like that's not on my antiques bucket list, I tell myself to leave it where it is and come back to it later. If it's still there, it's meant to be.  That's what I did.  I made my way around the rest of the house and when I came back, it was still there.  And now it's mine.  I think it's beautiful and absolutely love it.  It's the little things, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment