Saturday, May 25, 2024

Affording tickets to the theatre

 Now that I am starting to attend more theatre, I really need to stop and think about how I can afford it.  I have been lucky enough to be the recipient of tickets to the theatre as gifts and as invitations from friends.  It's always been a great experience and I have seen some wonderful shows over the last year.  I want to keep that up but to be honest, going to the theatre can be expensive.  So, I want to look for some affordable ways to see shows. 


I think my first thing is going to be to get a UNCG student ID.  Prices for students are usually greatly reduced.  Especially when it comes to college productions.  And UNCG has a pretty interesting line up for their next season.  It would be great to get tickets for $5 instead of $25. And I could use that ID other places where student prices are offered.  So, that's a must!

Many community theatres in the area and other smaller professional companies will sometimes offer a "pay what you can" night.  That is something that I should take advantage of.  In the long run, it would be a cheaper way to see good, fun theatre. I don't know how fast tickets for those shows get taken or if it's a first come, first serve type of situation but it is something I need to explore more. 


I have seen two shows at the Tanger Center over the past year.  Both times, the tickets were a courtesy of others so thank you for that!  The first show I saw we were on the 6th row.  The second show I saw we were in the top balcony. Both were amazing seats really.  From the balcony, I could see the entire stage in a way I couldn't down front.  There are definite advantages to both.  But I have no doubt that the balcony seats were cheaper than the 6th row. So, if there is something that I really want to see, I need to look at that section of seats now that I know they are definitely worth their price.

So now, I need to start looking ahead at what is being offered in theatres in the Triad in the next few months and begin choosing what I would like to see.  Now that theatre is becoming a regular part of my life again, I don't want to miss out on any stellar performances!!

That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment