Tuesday, January 2, 2024

As the year starts...

 


As the new year begins, many of us begin working on resolutions. It is very often a "new year, new me" mentality that people start their year off with.  I'm not feeling that vibe this year.  I am very proud of how I evolved as a person over the past year.  Many things changed.  I changed.  I returned to things that I love that I'd let go.  I put myself first.  I rekindled many friendships.  It was a very good year overall, despite the hardships that I faced personally and emotionally.  I am stronger than I give myself credit very often.  So, this year is not a year for a new me.  It is going to be a year of building on the old me.  I like the old me that I have rediscovered, and I have learned that it is a great foundation to build upon.

I prefer to use the term "goals" instead of "resolutions".  For me, and I know this is just my interpretation, a goal is something that I can work towards and if I don't achieve the goal by year's end, I can still work on it.  A resolution, if unobtained by year's end, is a failure.  I don't have time for that, so I choose goals.  It's a slight thing, I realize, but that's just me. And I do have some goals for this year.  I want to work on balancing things more.  Even though I am busy working full time and going to school full time, I really need to balance that with some kind of life beyond those things.  I know that will be good for my mental and physical health.  I want that to involve more time with friends, doing the things that I enjoy, maybe even some day trips or weekend travel.  I just need something to look forward to.

I want to finish school this year.  I have the potential to finish by the end of the summer.  Once that is done, I will start looking to expand my career options.  I have no idea where that might take me but I am totally open to so many possibilities.  And I do have those typical goals everyone makes each year:  exercise more, eat healthier, get out of debt, buy a house, etc.  I will make a concerted effort to work on those as well.  I need to take it a little at a time so that I do not overwhelm myself and just give up.  Little achievements are really huge in the long run.  So, we shall see what happens this coming year.  I am very excited to explore my life again.  And, like I said, I'm proud of what my life has been like over the last year and am very much looking forward to building on that foundation.  

That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment