I am looking at planning a trip to the beach this fall. Just a few days, mind you. And by myself. I have been looking at places to stay and trying to find something that is economical. It's out there, I just have not found it yet. I have not been to the beach in about 4 years. Going to the beach was such a part of my life when I was young. Even though I do not swim, I do enjoy being near the water. There is something so relaxing about hearing the waves crash on the shore. I just love it.
When I was young, like pre-kindergarten, we would spend a week each summer at Kure Beach. Someone from Monroe had a house there that we rented. It was a great old house. And it was old. I remember that there were no closets, but each room had a wardrobe in it. There weren't light fixtures but a bulb hanging from the ceiling. Front and back screened in porches with swings. I spent a lot of time on those swings. There were two bedrooms downstairs and several bedrooms and the living areas upstairs. I caught my first fish at Kure beach. Mom and Dad loved to surf fish. I actually caught two flounders at once with my plastic fishing pole made for kids. That was pretty awesome.
That house eventually got sold and we tried other beaches. Topsail, Ocean Isle, Holden Beach, the Outer Banks. Each summer we would go. I remember Mom planning meals weeks before and doing lots of grocery shopping for the trip. We might have gone out one night for dinner, but Mom and Grandmother did most of the cooking. That was also, especially in our younger days, one of the few times Bill and I got to have sodas daily. They were the old Check Sodas that Mom would buy at Food Lion. But we went every year for so many years.
I've been a few times as an adult and it has been fun. I made several trips with Michael's family and made trips with friends. It's just a place that I love to go to. So, I hope to make it this year, even if it is by myself. We shall see!

No comments:
Post a Comment