I learned late in life that there is a fine line between making compromises and losing one's sense of self. Unfortunately, I lost my sense of self a lot more than I made compromises. I have always been a pleaser, a person who likes to make others happy and comfortable. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. I come by it naturally. For any of you who knew Mom or Grandmother can attest to that fact. And it is a good feeling to make other people happy when it makes me happy. To me, there's almost no better feeling in the world.
The problem for me I stopped thinking of myself in order to think of others first. That is simply not healthy. It definitely can mess with a person's mind. I know it did mine. I cannot blame anyone for that other than myself. No one forced me to push my desires and wants to the back burner. I did that all by myself. But I thought I was doing it out of love. To a degree, I was. But the cost ended up not being worth the price. After years of never expressing what I wanted or needed, my sense of self-worth and confidence went down the tubes.
That was where I was emotionally when I became single again in my late 40's. And it's not necessarily a bad place to be when one is starting over. I have spent the last few years rediscovering the things that make me happy. Rediscovering the things that I enjoy. And yes, that still includes doing for other people, but I no longer do it at the price of my own happiness. It now enhances my life instead of controlling my life. I discovered things that I had forgotten that I enjoyed doing. And that's a great thing.
I have talked before on here and with friends that I am learning to enjoy my own company again. If I do not like spending time with myself, I cannot expect others to enjoy time together. And I can tell it has made a difference. I am able to carry on conversations now whereas before I did not think I was interesting enough to. I can sit and watch a movie of my choosing now because I don't have to give in to someone else. I can go out and do things that I never suggested previously because I was all about someone else.
It's a very entertaining journey of self-discovery. Or self-rediscovery depending on how you look at it. While I will never get back the time I spent ignoring my own needs and wants, I feel better about Bob than I have in a long time. At least emotionally. The physical side still needs a lot of work! But more about that later.


No comments:
Post a Comment