I often wonder if I am one of the few people in my life that still have magazines all around the house. Hmmmmm. It definitely goes with my "Grandmother's house" vibe, even though Grandmother didn't have that many laying around her house. Some, but not like me haha! I need to read them more simply because I have them and I, or others through gifts, have paid for them. Growing up, there were always magazines around. Anytime you went to a doctor's office or the beauty parlor, there were magazines available for you to thumb through. They were often very old magazines, but it still made the time waiting go by quicker. Of course, this was back in the day before everyone had phones and there were televisions in every waiting room. Reading a magazine today while you wait is pretty unheard of these days. That's kind of sad but oh well.
Like I said, Grandmother did have some magazines on her coffee table. Southern Living and Ideals were the ones she mostly had. Ideals isn't really a magazine but it's close enough that I am including it here. Also, I will pick up issues of Ideals whenever I'm out doing my antiques shopping LOL I remember that Aunt Sara had magazines in her den. She put them on an old towel rack. I have that rack, btw, with quilts on it now. But she would hang the magazines on the rack for display and you could easily pick and choose which one you wanted to peruse. In our home, we had magazines fanned out on the coffee table and on a rack in the bathroom. Better Homes & Gardens, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated.
When Bill and I were younger, we would get the latest copies of Mad Magazine when they came out. We didn't subscribe to it but would pick it up at a local store. That was always a fun one to look at. I think it's still in operation. Then when I was in high school, Mom got me a subscription to Playbill magazine. How I loved that one. It was a great way to keep up with Broadway before the internet. They still have a website now but it's not nearly as fun as the magazine used to be. Still, each month I loved reading up on the latest Broadway news. I maintained my subscription until they stopped producing paper issues.
Now, as an adult, I still get magazines each month. I used to subscribe to Taste of Home and Reminisce Magazine. Sadly, Reminisce went out of business. That was a huge bummer to me. I stopped Taste of Home because their recipes went from simple things from the past to overly complicated recipes with 30+ ingredients. Oh, well. Now I get Our State, Guideposts, Reader's Digest and Remind. I still get excited when I see one of them stuffed into my mailbox. I find it so much better to have the magazine in my hand than reading them online. Just my personal preference. I just hope there never comes a day when electronic magazines are my only option. My old lady soul will be crushed!

No comments:
Post a Comment