Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Playing cards

 Playing card games was a huge part of my upbringing.  Solitaire, hearts, spades, gin, war.  There were card games going on almost weekly in our home. For years, my parents belonged to a couples' bridge club and Mom belonged to a women's bridge club.  Grandmother belonged to one as well.  I never learned to play bridge but it's on my radar! Still, there were always card games going on it seems.


And because of that, we had many decks of cards.  I used to love to just look at them and the fun designs on the backs of the cards. I was always very careful in selecting which deck I was going to play with.  And then there were the decks that were worn and soft in the middle of the cards.  Still playable though. The sets were often in pairs, always complementary of each other. 

And I loved the vintage packaging they came in.  Some were in the faux velvet boxes where the drawer pulled out to reveal dual decks of cards.  Some had the plastic containers with the clear tops so that you could see the card designs.  They were fun and colorful! 


Somehow, I don't have too many of the old sets of cards we used.  I do have some but not many.  I guess I did not think about it at the time when households were broken up that these cards would be of sentimental value to me.  But I cherish the ones that I do have.  And if I see some fun cards out while shopping, I'm always tempted.  I haven't bought any but I'm always tempted LOL

Do you have any old decks of cards?  And if so, do you use them?  Or are you up for a game of gin?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment