Thursday, July 25, 2024

Recipe of the Week - Pickled Mushrooms and Onions

 


I made this dish a few weeks ago when I was looking for some sides for barbecued chicken thighs I was having for dinner.  I try to use a new recipe from a different cookbook every week.  It does not always happen, but I do try!  And that particular week I was looking through a cookbook that June gave me.  It's all about mushrooms.  I have grown to love mushrooms the older that I get.  This recipe was in the appetizer section of the book.  I think it works well as both an appetizer and a side.  Hope you enjoy!

Pickled Mushrooms and Onions

2/3 cup red wine vinegar

2/3 cup salad oil

1 onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings*

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp minced parsley

1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 lb. medium-sized mushrooms, whole or sliced**

Combine all ingredients, except for mushrooms, in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add mushrooms and simmer 5 minutes.  Pour into a bowl, cover and chill several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.  If having as an appetizer, serve with cocktail picks.

*if you have a mandolin, use it for the onions

**If it is going to be a side, I prefer the slices, but it's up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment