Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Romantic Movies

 Have you ever noticed then when your life is lacking something that you are often drawn to things that represent it?  I don't really have much romance going on in my life right now.  Some days it's a good thing, some days not.  I'm not actively seeking but not turning anything away really, just going with the flow.  Anyway, having said that, I have been drawn to watching movies that have some kind of element of romance in them.  I've always had a soft spot for that kind of story and I really do enjoy watching it on the screen.  Here are 10 of my favorites, in no particular order:

1. Sleepless in Seattle

This one gets me every time.  If it's on, I will sit and watch it until the end with the same anticipation of the first time I saw it.  A wonderful cast all throughout.  Definitely a wonderful movie to cuddle up on the couch with someone and watch. 

2. Dirty Dancing

This one is just really fun!  And while it does take on a few adult subject matters, they are handled tastefully and are well done.  The soundtrack is awesome, and the dancing is great. Grey and Swayze have great on-screen chemistry even if they did not care for each other off screen. 

3. Now, Voyager

A classic Bette Davis film.  Her transformation from a spinster into a world traveler is wonderful.  The accompanying love story between her and Paul Henreid was captivating and produced the sexiest cigarette lighting scene ever on film!

4. Sense & Sensibility

Romance through and through! I always love a period piece, and this checks all the boxes for me. Emma Thompson's climactic scene did not invoke the reaction I had expected it would and she is flawless!

5. Gone With the Wind

All politics and the glamorization of history aside, the love story between Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler still makes for an incredible film watching experience!

6. The Notebook

I know that a lot of people do not like The Notebook, but I am not one of them. I am not normally a fan of Nicholas Sparks's novels or their film adaptations, but this is an exception. An amazing cast from beginning to end.  Well worth the time to watch this one. 

7. Pretty Woman

This was a big movie during my teenage years and I saw it several times in the theater.  There's nothing quite like a prostitute with a heart of gold.  Fine performances from the leads and a stellar supporting cast.  There are some great scenes in here, one of my favorites is the shopping sequence.  The only thing I do not like about this movie is the last line.  I find it to be such a letdown.  Oh well LOL

8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I loved this movie from the first time I saw it at the movies.  Nia Vardalos wrote a funny and touching romantic comedy that deals with family and tradition.  An amazing supporting cast.  I haven't seen the sequels yet but they're on my list!

9. Dangerous Beauty

A little seen 1998 film starring Catherine McCormack as a courtesan in Venice and her love affair with a married man.  Wonderful period piece that I highly recommend!

10. Remains of the Day

This is one of those romantic movies that is just frustrating.  Hopkins plays the head butler and Thompson is the housekeeper of an English Country Manor. Their love for each other is so obvious to everyone around them.  Some achingly painful love scenes well played without actually saying the words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment